Welcome
Welcome to the Deerhunter forums. We are a friendly bunch, and no this is not about hunting deer. We have a wide variety of[/url]!

"Monomania" - MAY 7TH

the band

Re: "Monomania" - MAY 7TH

Postby wiseguy » April 9th, 2013, 5:08 pm

\eakd
wiseguy

Postby wonderyrs » April 9th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Really feeling "The Missing" and "Sleepwalking".
wonderyrs

Postby chase » April 10th, 2013, 1:50 am

On my second listen and wow I am loving this. This seems very reactionary to Halcyon which was very polished and prestine. This is all over the place! Reminds me of 2008 Atlas Sound demo's with more twang. T.H.M., Dream Captain, The Missing, Monomania, and Pensacola are standouts so far. I hope they stay weird again.
chase

Postby Pat » April 10th, 2013, 1:59 am

Pleasantly surprised with this actually! It's definitely a better album than Halcyon Digest.
Pat

Postby joplinpicasso » April 10th, 2013, 2:40 am

Re: Interview -- Such a pleasant, down-to-earth one. I like that new Josh enjoys speaking a good deal.

Re: Drip dip -- Whaaaat? Need this now.
joplinpicasso

Postby EmotionLotion » April 10th, 2013, 4:01 am

Oh great, now were going to have to deal with idiots worrying about Bradford "losing his confidence" because he's using a lot of effects on his vocals. The morons this band got when they dropped "Never Stops" always pissed me off. They arent a pop band, they just sucked pop music's dick for a while. Locketts vocals sounded cool with effects, they sound ok without them but i dont want to hear clear vocals from these guys anyway, thats not their point.

This is a welcome return to the real Deerhunter. I just wish there were more/longer songs on it. I wish monomania was 20+minutes long like they've been doing live. Nitebike is a little too Atlas Sound, and Locketts song is a Lotus song too, but I have no real qualms with it. I havent even listened to it stoned yet and I love it, I know i'll be hearing a lot more once I get a good sesh in before listening. When all is said and done, Deerhunter will always be a mix of The Fall and Swell Maps with Brian Eno producing, and this is exactly that, and that is always a great thing to listen to.
EmotionLotion

Postby Pat » April 10th, 2013, 5:16 am

More detailed thoughts:
1) I don't want to bring Animal Collective into this, but this feels like Deerhunter's version of Centipede Hz, because it feels like both albums were deliberate attempts to weed out casual fans who don't quite know what the band is REALLY about.
2) I like that this has more emphasis on rock than the emphasis on pop that Microcastle and Halcyon Digest have.
3) I find it continues in the same vein as Halcyon, but more tightened up and consistent.
4) Vernhes's production suits the band a lot better than Ben Allen's did.
5) It sounds like they're actually having fun on this (contrary to Bradford being quoted [circa Parallax] as saying that "Desire Lines" was the only song on Halcyon he still liked, and that was because he was restricted to only playing what Lockett wanted). Also, unlike Halcyon, it feels like a Deerhunter album, and not an Atlas Sound album; it feels like there's more of an interband dynamic present.
6) In that Rolling Stone article, Lockett wasn't lying about there being a bit of a Royal Trux influence at points.
7) While the album, as a whole, improves on Halcyon, it lacks some of the memorability songs like "Desire Lines", "Don't Cry", and "He Would Have Laughed" have.
8) After Spooky Action at a Distance turned out to be the best Deerhunter-related release since Microcastle (or maybe Logos), I was hoping for more contributions from Lockett; I like Bradford, but it would be nice to have two songwriters sort of friendlily competing. But nope, just one song by Pundt.
9) There's times where the mixing (namely, how loud the vocals are at times) gets sort of grating.

Overall, I was looking for was an album that improved on Halcyon and it did that. It's no masterpiece, but it's great.
Pat

Postby b4rry » April 10th, 2013, 8:15 am

^^ you realize you're coming off a little entitled as to someone else's music, right? as much as it seems bradford and the band appreciate their fans/audience, they're obviously not simply making music to please your every whim...it's their mode of artistic expression and livelihood. and bradford has made it pretty clear in interviews he doesn't really "give a fuck" what people think of him or his art. i highly doubt he sits around planning what direction to go next based upon anyone's reactions to previous material. he's an artist.

and it's a great album, thrilling as always to follow bradford and co.'s ever-unpredictable trajectory. another entirely different hue to color an already seminal discography.
b4rry

Postby EmotionLotion » April 10th, 2013, 10:57 am

^ good first post. welcome.
EmotionLotion

Postby wiseguy » April 10th, 2013, 12:58 pm

still waiting for some more experimental music

but i'm enjoying parts of the record
wiseguy

Postby joplinpicasso » April 10th, 2013, 3:44 pm

First listen through Monomania, I felt like I was enjoying sounds and bits more than the whole songs. After going back again and checking out those specific parts that I liked, they blended into full passages. This record is great. I still need to digest it more. The comparisons to TIUF are only apt because of Brad's vocal effects and the title track, in my opinion. They're trying to make compact statements within each track as opposed to an overarching album scheme (this is supported by a recent interview).

The first half functions as consecutive garage rock punches and the second half flows beautifully. Damn, the more I write about it and listen to different sections, the more that I love it.

Initial favorites: "Neon Junkyard", "The Missing", "Sleepwalking", **"Back To The Middle" (has a classic Strokes feel in the best way). Hm, also "Dream Captain"

EDIT: Witty but sad hair loss reference in "Back To The Middle"
Last edited by joplinpicasso on April 10th, 2013, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joplinpicasso

Postby Aaron342 » April 10th, 2013, 3:49 pm

i really hate "leather jacket ii" and "dream captain" but the rest of the album pretty much rules
Aaron342

Postby benwayshouse » April 10th, 2013, 3:55 pm

it's okay. it's same-y on his first listen.. i noticed that there's a travel motif in the lyrics, and the guitars are more riffy.

i'll try to listen to it again. i don't think i can have a definitive opinion of the album after listening once.
benwayshouse

Postby iloveculture » April 10th, 2013, 5:05 pm

feel like i'm the only person who isn't crazy about the missing. it sounds like beach fossils brand of hazy garage pop, which i'm totally unenthused by at this point.

leather jacket, pensacola, dream captain, sleepwalking, bttm, and of course monomania are my favorite songs. very interested to see how they will draw them out in a live setting
iloveculture

Postby chase » April 10th, 2013, 5:14 pm

I seriously can't stop listening to this. Love the songs, love Bradford's voice, love the happy accidents, everything about this. I haven't gushed enough about Back to the Middle and Sleepwalking. All of the tracks have some small part that draws me in and I'm forced
to keep going back to it. I've listened to it three times in a row this morning lol
chase

PreviousNext

Return to Deerhunter